Remind your PTA members (and potential members) of the benefits of joining PTA. National PTA has many national business partners, which offer substantial discounts to PTA members.
PTA Membership Top-Ten List
- Many opportunities for discounts
- The opportunity to be connected with your child’s school
- Large network for parents and teachers
- Access to great resources for parents and students
- Opportunity to assist your child and other children in the community
- Opportunity to “speak up and suggest change” at your child’s school
- Witness improvements in the school, curriculum, and social events through fundraising efforts
- Affordable – membership in the largest child advocacy organization costs less than 3 cents per day
- Help support the many things the PT(S)A does for [School Name] students
- Good role model for your child – shows your child the importance that you place on them and their education
Use this form to pay National and State dues
directly to National PTA!
QUICK TIPS TO INCREASE MEMBERSHIP
From National PTA: “When PTA gets involved, children benefit; when you get involved in PTA, the child who benefits the most is your own.”
- use an easy-to-understand sample membership form
- JUST ASK: a PTA survey showed that the NUMBER ONE reason people don’t join is that they were never asked to
- if people express an interest in PTA, contact them right away to find out their interests and invite them to participate
- always have membership forms available in the school office
- hold membership drives at Back-to-School Night and other major school events
- be present during American Education Week (food/hospitality is a good incentive!)
- use Paypal to make joining easier
- Use a QR to join (Joppa View ES does this: http://joppaviewes.bcps.org/for_parents/j_v_e_p_t_a)
- have your president and/or membership chair speak at Back-to-School Night (ask principal for permission) to let families know how much your PTA does for your school and how much you need their help
- remind your community about your PTA’s accomplishments and service
- send a mid-year reminder postcard, flyer, or letter to families and staff to encourage them to join
- keep meetings productive and positive; they are NOT gossip sessions
- be inclusive; different people have different skills and perspectives
- thank members by including their names in your newsletter
- remind teachers that the “T” in PTA stands for TEACHER
- have a faculty rep on your board
- some PTAs have business members and sponsors; consider creating a “business member” category in your bylaws (can pay special dues)
- create community partnerships to expand your PTA’s outreach
Members can be enrolled all year long
Enrolled members must be issued their cards in a timely manner
2020-21 PTA Membership valid until 9/30/21
Each local PT(S)A must have a minimum of 25 members and make dues payments each year in order to remain in good standing.
PTA members pay dues to their local unit, at an amount set by that PT(S)A. Each member’s dues includes a Free State PTA portion ($2.00 per member/year) and a National PTA portion ($2.25 per member/year); thus, each local unit remits dues in the amount of $4.25 per member to Free State PTA.
To be affiliated with PTA Council — an all-volunteer support organization with no legal standing over units, but which represents units as a BCPS stakeholder — local units pay annual Council Dues. In the fall, all units will receive an invoice from PTA Council. The total amount due is based on the previous year’s membership times $0.50/member. NOTE: due to the Covid-19 emergency, PTA Council dues for 2020-21 were $1.00 per unit. 2021-22 dues will be determined in Summer 2021.
Dues should be remitted to Free State PTA on a monthly basis; the first payment is due October 1. A new invoice will be issued monthly for any cards that are outstanding until all cards are paid for or the remaining/unused cards are returned to Free State PTA by June 30.
Additional cards can be obtained (after making a payment for 75% of the initial invoice) by contacting Free State PTA.
OTHER KEY DATES
PTAs are strongly encouraged to submit all dues received by March 31
Each unit must remit at least one payment by October 1